Sunday, March 19, 2017

some good news, some bad news

I will bring out the bad news to you first: Thespian competition/festival is over :( and I am super sad it is but also SO incredibly happy with the outcome. Our school did very well earning 3 Superior's and 3 Excellent's and getting to know my troupe was as awesome as the whole experience.

Now for the good news:

I have gotten ready for tonight's departure very quickly and have used the extra time to work on my magazine, yay!

So I played around with Canva and made a possible cover!(?) I really love it and it is very different, breaking magazine conventions such as one photo in the cover and the masthead normally being towards the top.

I chose this template/layout to begin playing around with:


screenshot from Canva


And here is my first try at the cover page:

screenshot from Canva

I went through the fonts first and loved this one since it reminded me of a postcard which is the type of look I wanted to try for the cover. I had put the title diagonally to begin with in the middle of the page but thought it looked way too causal and not as appealing as it looks horizontally.



screenshot of how it looked diagonal, did not end up liking it

Regarding the pictures, they were all taken by me in Miami and LA (I did not add them simply because this issue focuses on LA, but because my favorite personal photography is mostly from there). The background is a picture of our very own dining table. I got the idea from my mom who peeked over at my design and gave me the idea of a "scattered pictures on a table" look. I opened up all the windows and took a bird's eye view picture as well as adjusted the lighting while taking the picture for my cover. With all this together I want the "scattered" look to be portrayed, as well as postcard look accompanied by the masthead [font], revealing the "good vibes" my title offers whilst traveling to the place mentioned.

action pic of me, taking a shot of our beautiful dining table

Most of the travel magazine covers I viewed did not have a lot of writing/cover lines so I just added the "Where to next? Los Angeles, CA" in order to distinguish this issue from others. I want to try and add one more cover line so I will play around with how that will look.

Until next time, prospective travelers!

  1. Peter. "Travel." Issuu. Issuu, n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2017. <https://issuu.com/categories/travel/adventure-travel>.
  2. "Photography." Magzter. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2017. <https://www.magzter.com/magazines/Photography>.

No comments:

Post a Comment